We regulate each other's body budgets
A note for Lesson no. 5, "Your Brain Secretly Works With Other Brains," in Lisa Feldman Barrett.
Some context from page 83 is:
Part of being a social species, it turns out, is that we regulate each other's body budgets...
- Barrett, Lisa Feldman. 2017. How Emotions are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain, chapter 4. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Atzil, Shir, Wei Gao, Isaac Fradkin, and Lisa Feldman Barrett. 2018. "Growing a Social Brain." Nature Human Behavior 2 (9): 624–636.
- Saxbe, Darby E., Lane Beckes, Sarah A. Stoycos, and James A. Coan. 2020. "Social Allostasis and Social Allostatic Load: A New Model for Research in Social Dynamics, Stress, and Health." Perspectives on Psychological Science 15 (2): 469–482.
- Schulkin, Jay. 2011. Adaptation and Well-Being: Social Allostasis. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Schulkin, Jay. 2011. "Social Allostasis: Anticipatory Regulation of the Internal Milieu." Frontiers in Evolutionary Neuroscience 2: 111.