A note for Lesson no. 7, "Our Brains Can Create Reality," in Lisa Feldman Barrett.
Some context from page 111 is:
We all live in a world of social reality that exists only inside our human brains.
For more on social construction, see Ian Hacking's book.
- Searle, John R. 1995. The Construction of Social Reality. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Searle, John R. 2010. Making the Social World: The Structure of Human Civilization. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Berger, Peter L., and Thomas Luckmann. 1967. The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge. New York: Anchor Books.
- Hacking, Ian. 1999. The Social Construction of What? Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Barrett, Lisa Feldman. 2012. “Emotions are Real." Emotion 12 (3): 413–429.
- Barrett, Lisa Feldman. 2017. How Emotions are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain, chapter 7. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.