A budget for your body
A note for Lesson no. 6, "Brains Make More Than One Kind of Mind," in Lisa Feldman Barrett.
Some context from page 106 is:
Affect is like a barometer for how you’re doing. Remember, your brain is constantly running a budget for your body.
The scientific name for body-budgeting is allostasis, as described in the Half-Lesson. I introduced the budget metaphor in How Emotions are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain. The barometer metaphor comes from my TEDx talk on affect (or mood).
- Energy efficiency is like a budget
- Your brain is metabolically expensive
- Energy efficiency is key to survival
- The movement should be worth the effort, economically speaking
- Barrett, Lisa Feldman. 2017. How Emotions are Made: The Secret Life of the Brain, chapter 4. New York: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.